Thursday 10 May 2007

1 Introduction and Overview


Know me as someone who knows what it means when they say that 80 is the new 60.
As such I have worked in the electronics industry for some 40 odd years, followed by retirement to Fermoy in North County Cork, where followed many years of voluntary active involvement in community affairs.
I am now in what could be described as second-phase retirement, having moved to the south east, which claims to be the sunniest part of Ireland.
My electronics background in industry has begun to gel with my more recent experience in community affairs, to the extent that I have completed quite an amount of research into how usage of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) could benefit the senior citizens of this country.

Why should I, Joe Cahill, talk about ‘seniors using cyberspace’, well, I suppose firstly and above all else I am most definitely a ‘senior’ and, secondly, I use cyberspace all the time. No, I am not a retired IT worker. Yes, I have worked for 40 years in the electronics industry, all of it in the communications sector and none of it in the computer industry. I suppose what that experience has given is not to be afraid of electronic gadgetry. I have found out the various bits and bobs of computerisation as I went along the way. Maybe I still am doing just that getting involved in this ‘blog’ thing. One way to find out!

There are other reasons in the ‘why’ category which give me cause for talking about the subject.

I find the use of cyberspace (in plain language The Internet) extremely useful and entertaining and I am aware that many of my peers are not in the same situation, for a number of reasons.
A certain amount of publicity has surfaced in recent times on the subject of the usefulness of using the Internet, nowadays perhaps better recognised under the generic term of ‘broadband’. Such usage will extend far beyond basic e-mail and browsing and will include the immediate area of health systems together with many aspects of social inter-action. These are probably the areas that will in time have the greatest impact on the lives of seniors in our society.

1 comment:

djc said...

Here's a recent example of convenient use of the internet by a senior.
Following on a recent change in Irish budget ruling regarding non-payment of DIRT tax, whereby the revenue have issued application forms through the banks.
Follow the usual Q in the bank, obtain a copy from the nice teller, proceed homewards and discover that in fact you need a second form becuase hey presto you have a second savings account.
Saving your remaining hair, switch on your computer, go on-line, download and print another form, readily available from the Revenue website.